Sunday 14 July 2013

Why Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns Should Not Be Made Into A Movie

No no no no no no.

We all (or should all) know and love the classic story of The Devil Wears Prada, made into a movie in 2006 starring Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway. The film was adapted from the book (loosely adapted, but still stuck around the same storyline) by Lauren Weisberger. 2013 comes around and she releases the sequel, called Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns.


Now, spoilers ahead but I sincerely doubt you will want to read it and if it is made into a movie you won’t want to see that either but the only way it will be successful as a movie is if they just keep the title and change the plot completely. And actually, I don’t think there will be any spoilers because I couldn’t care less… if I give away any huge plot details, I’ll warn you again.

So I heard about this book, oh I don’t know, about half a year ago? It was then released at the beginning of June so I awkwardly went to the bookstore and made the fastest transaction ever made. I walked in, had my money ready, and the guy at the counter and I made little eye contact and spoke even less and then I was out of there. (I ended up buying a postcard from him a week or so later but I don’t think he remembered me [of course he remembered me I’m probably the only 20-year-old North American male to buy the book].)

Why I really wanted to read it was because if it was going to be made into a movie then Meryl would undoubtedly be in it and therefore I must familiarize myself with the content. I’ll link to an interview below where Meryl says that if a movie were to be made she would probably join, but she’d have to “lose the fucking weight.” This is also just a delightful interview to watch.


Anyway, the title “Revenge Wears Prada” would lead us to believe that MIRANDA PRIESTLY = REVENGE. Well, Miranda Priestly is seen about four times in the entire book and three of those times she doesn’t even speak. She has ONE scene and it is absolutely wretched. I mean, Meryl would make it wonderful, but OH MY GOSH NO.

The entire joy about the first book/movie was the back-and-forth and conflict between the protagonist (Andrea Sachs) and Miranda Priestly. There is none of that in this book. And the entire novel was based around whiny Andrea and her problems post-Runway (the magazine where she worked as Miranda’s assistant) career. As I said earlier, the first book was loosely adapted into the movie, but I don’t know how this one could be salvaged to actually be appealing as a movie. People familiar with The Devil Wears Prada will look for Miranda (Meryl) and frankly casting her in this would be a waste of talent… and I would say the same for Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt and Stanley Tucci.
When you read the book as a book you think, “meh.” When you read the book as a potential movie you think, “please do not let this happen.”

Unless someone can get in there and adapt the crap out of the novel, I would advise all of these actors and directors and costumers and everyone to stay away from the movie. Actually, what I am saying is that this just won’t happen at all. I honestly don’t think that a company would actually invest in distributing Revenge Wears Prada as it is now. But maybe Aline Brosh McKenna (the screenwriter who adapted the first novel) can salvage it to be something that can actually replicate the charm, wit, and snap of the first movie.

We can only hope. Otherwise, don’t waste your time, Meryl.

No comments:

Post a Comment